September book report

| On
Tuesday, September 22, 2015
 
Deceptions by Kelley Armstrong. I love urban fantasy. It’s my guilty pleasure, and Kelley Armstrong is one of my favorite UF authors. This was a re-read of the third book in Armstrong’s Cainsville series, which is about a girl in her early twenties who finds out that she’s adopted and her biological parents are notorious serial killers. Her quest to find out more about them leads her to an old and secluded little town with deep roots in Welsh mythology. This series straddles the line between urban fantasy and horror.

A history of the world in six glasses by Tom Standage. How six different beverages (Beer, wine, alcohol/spirits, coffee, tea, and coca-cola) had enormous effect on history. I read it during spare moments, so it took a couple weeks to finish. Interesting read, but not something that captured and held my attention very well.

A Red-Rose Chain by Seanan McGuire. I mentioned this is in my Currently post. Urban Fantasy, ninth book in the series. Good read.

The Job by Janet Evanovich. A re-read, in preparation for the fourth installment in this series which is in my library queue. Fun, very light, formulaic, amusing read. Nick is a con artist, and Kate is the FBI agent in charge of brining him to justice. Hi-jinks and slapstick humor. I read this book over nap time. If you like Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series you'll like this.

Wild things: the art of nurturing boys by James Stephen. I read most of this book, but stopped at the chapters about parenting teenage and adult boys. It's mostly common sense parenting stuff.

Hyperbole and a half by Allie Brosch. I love her blog, and a lot of the comics/stories in the book are straight from the blog. Her illustrations and the way she tells her stories are hilarious, even when the subject matters are not.

Wild by Cheryl Strayed. After her mother’s death and her own divorce, and with no prior backpacking experience, twenty-six year old Cheryl makes the impulsive decision to hike the Pacific Crest Trail from the Mojave Desert, through the length of California and Oregon, to the boarder of Washington—alone, and almost completely unprepared. I’m know I’m really late to this one, and honestly I picked it up thinking I would read a chapter or two and put it aside, but I devoured this book in two nap time reading sessions. Very well written, and definitely fueled my growing desire to go camping.

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9